The television industry has managed to produce so much amazing television since its inception. Has your favorite show made our list of the best twenty shows in the last twenty years?
20. The West Wing (1999- 2006; NBC) – One of the most award winning shows ever, and especially of the last twenty years. Bravo.
19. Silicon Valley (2014- present; HBO) – The newest show to make this list. Silicon Valley portrays the real location, the entrepreneurs, the VC’s, the businessmen, the programmers, etc, to perfection. It has jokes & references that people in tech, IT and computer science can relate to. It’s also strongly casted, written to perfection, and just plain hilarious. Hoping it lasts a long time and experiences a lot of success. It deserves every ounce of that.
18. Smallville (2001-2011; WB) – Superman brought to Television. With the show thriving off his constant progression and regression, it is one of the best superhero shows of the last two decades. Fantastic acting, intriguing plotlines, and constant threats, keep viewers loving every minute of it. A future classic.
17. It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia (2005- present; FX) – Sunny, is really the opposite of Sunny. These characters could not be any more negative, depraved, self-obsessed, egotistical, and disinterested in others. These terrible characters will constantly make you laugh at how low they go, once you know them. The whacky adventures they have, make the episodes future classics. Some of the finest comedy writing on TV.
16. Supernatural (2005- present; WB/CW)– Exploration of how the deep the bond of brothers go, and the constant battles between them, this cable TV show is a major highlight among shows still airing. Influenced by Buffy, containing comedy, folk lore monsters and its ‘monsters of the week’, this show is top quality stuff.
15. Deadwood (2004-2006; HBO)This Home Box Office piece of art, didn’t have a deep storyline, and that’s about the only flaw I can think of really. To this day, it is still mindblowing how good the writing is it at portraying tough hard headed western types who speak with the sharpest old fashioned wit and intelligence on TV. The viewer won’t hear anything like it elsewhere. Sprinkle in some great costumes, exceptional acting, strong character building, intriguing subplots and a bit of history, and you’ve got a masterpiece.
14. Buffy The Vampire Slayer (1997-2003; WB) – Buffy created a chain reaction in shows consisting in folk lore monsters, and dark romance, and cheesy lines. It was very good though, and kept you in suspense constantly. It also had plenty of character building and humor to it. Marvelous Television.
13. South Park (1997- present; Comedy Central) – Although Matt Groening’s yellow characters set the standards for cartoons for adults, these four young boys, set the standard, for having NO standards; NO class, and NO boundaries. South Park chose to make fun of anyone and anything, and did so hilariously, regardless of its distastefulness. A comedy masterpiece that was way ahead of its time.
12. The Shield (2002-2008; FX) – The greatest show to grace FX in the last 20 years. A real portrayal of a man with balls. Outstanding acting, unforgettable action, and magnificent overall quality. This show was the real deal.
11. Curb Your Enthusiasm (1999- present; HBO) – Larry David took an ordinary average idea of what could be a comedy, and soared to the sky with it. Beating Seinfeld, after writing eight seasons of scripts for each episode, of hilariously intolerant people around him, and exposing himself along the way. If there is a comedy hall of fame, he belongs in it. Hands down, one of the funniest shows ever.